03.08.2012

Ravi – Popular Pakistani Food in Dubai, UAE

Posted in: Food Reviews No Comments
ravi-crop The Giant Eyes
Price
Two Dollars
Rating
Four Forks

We asked the locals on where we should go eat in Dubai (these “locals” really aren’t locals. We found out that only 15% of the population are Emiratis, and the rest 85% are expats from neighboring countries). So technically, we asked the expats who have been living in Dubai for more than 20 years on where we should go eat. He recommended Ravi. Ravi is a widely popular Pakistani chain restaurant in Dubai and is frequented by “the locals” from all walks of life.

We sat down in a minimal looking white room that looks like a cafeteria, with long tables for everyone to share. Then we were handed a flimsy takeout menu to order. There were a dizzying number of dishes on the menu, we didn’t know where to start. We had to ask the waiter to help us out. He kindly recommended what he felt are the best on the menu.

This is what we ended up ordering: For nan, we ordered the Mixed Nan with cheese and lamb. Oh let me tell you it was a hot oily mess, not in a Lindsay Lohan kind of way, but more like the busy griddles at Shake Shack. It was chewy, cheesy, and heart attack filled and I was in nan bliss! It was simply delicious no other words can describe it. As my mind came back, the next two delightful main dishes arrived in front of me; the Chicken Jalfrezi and the Mutton Mughlai.

The Chicken Jalfrezi is chicken breast cooked with an assortment of spices such as cumin, turmeric and coriander, mixed with green pepper, tomatoes, onions and green chili peppers. A heavy spicy dish but bursting with all kinds of flavors.

The Mutton Mughlai is another heavy dish that is cooked with an abundance of spices, yogurt and curry, it will surely make your taste buds dance! The mutton is tender, juicy and flavorful, the overall dish is creamier and less spicy than the Chicken Jalfrezi. Nonetheless, both are excellent and bold dishes, that will stay with you for the rest of the day.

If you’ve got heartburn, just pop a Tums and you will be fine, because it is worth it!

Ravi: Satwa, Dubai

Leave a Comment